Monday, July 16, 2007

Day 1D

I knew this was going to happen but do not really care. After a couple days of minimal practice, or at least one, I threw down like a kid in a candy store. But most importantly is how things came together generally. I used a mirror almost the entire practice, and whala: the tuck, the table, overall lightness of hold, and more: a big cool important more.

During my posture festival I had been practicing using almost no chin pressure to help stable the instrument; and, I had been having somewhat zoned out problems finding the table because so many things have changed for me recently. So last night I realized that zero pressure does not mean no pressure with the chin and played with a well formed forward but not raised table consistently. And I played, and I played, and I played. I feel like I've been on a drunk. And I played. And my southpaw though a little tired, is quite ok.

So, I increased my chin pressure from stable to lightly throughout the night, going from an 'able to hold the violin up on the table' posture to a 'minimize considered' posture. Also, because I'm using a center mount, am finding my chin doesn't really hit the chin rest, but my jawline feels perfect on the rest. Oddly even to me, this feels less claustrophobic to me in a way I do not understand. And I can see my pretty face in the mirror as I practice (Henry Fielding pronunciation).

Once again, a new level has been achieved though I would not be the one qualified to describe it. My playing on this stable table was really really nice, full (or becoming fuller)--just wonderful.
And I also started applying two points I feel important to stamina. Playing from center better is one point, a point shared by Amelia; but, the second point has to do with visualizing the straight neckline in a truly truly relaxed interaction with the instrument--very nice indeed. I think Amelia might have inferred this if not directly mentioned it, but it was the web site from the Netherlands that drove it home to and image I could truly work with.

My first impulse on waking was to practice, but I have to rest some so I'll wait until later.

One more thing: my coach helped me with some shifting circumstances perspective building on the phone last night. (AE-shoot for 12th)(GD-get competent to 5th and don't worry about it.)



If it's the Lord's will, I'll see Hilary Hahn tomorrow night in Greensboro. I'm so excited I can't stand it. This will be a good break for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home